Briefing: 5th South Asian Conference on Sanitation (SACOSAN V)
The fifth South Asian Conference on Sanitation will be hosted by Nepal from 22-24 October 2013 in Kathmandu with the theme 'Sanitation for All: All for Sanitation'.
Heads of delegation from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will join other delegates from government, UN agencies, civil society and the private sector to once again discuss the sanitation challenge facing the region.
Here's a break down of how FANSA will be involved in and around the conference:
Civil society meeting, 20 October
FANSA is coordinating a grassroots voices and community leaders session at this meeting designed to orientate civil society members around the conference.
SACOSAN V public launch, 21 October
FAN Nepal Convenor Lajana Manandhar will be raising the grassroots voice at the SACOSAN V public launch in Bhaktapur.
- Conference opening - FANSA Convenor Murali Ramisetty will raise the voice of civil society in the official opening session of the conference.
- Traffic lights report presentation - FANSA will present its traffic lights paper monitoring progress against government commitments on sanitation in the region.
Thematic focus session: reaching the unreached
FANSA will present the recommendations of its equity and inclusion study and screen a film in this session exploring factors inhibiting people's access to sanitation.
- Thematic focus session: Urban sanitation
FANSA will present the recommendations of its urban sanitation study in this session exploring the condition of sanitation in urban areas in the context of increasing urbanization.
- Side event: Is integrity an issue for better sanitation services?
FANSA, Helvetas and WIN are coordinating this side event which will attempt to understand whether a lack of integrity is a major obstacle for achieving sanitation goals in South Asia through from various South Asian perspectives.
- Panel discussion with grassroots Community leaders
FAN South Asia will be represented on the panel of this community leaders/grassroots voices session.
- Ministerial declaration drafting committee
Murali Ramisetty is working as a member of the ministerial declaration committee.
- Ministers' meeting
Two FANSA representatives will take part in the Ministers' meeting.
SACOSAN V follow up meeting of the South Asia Regional Campaign coordination team.
- Equity and inclusion in South Asia - Recommendations for targeting vulnerable groups in sanitation provision in Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- Urban sanitation in South Asia - Solutions for tackling the challenges of urban sanitation in South Asia
- Traffic lights paper
FANSA member participation
Mohammad Yakub Hossain, Convenor FANSA Bangladesh
Jahanara Begum Shapna, member FANSA Bangladesh
Joseph Halder, member, FANSA Bangladesh
Murali Ramisetty, Regional Convenor, FANSA
Dr Seetharam MR, FANSA India Convenor
Nafisa Barot, FANSA India member
Siddhartha Das, Regional Coordinator, FANSA
A Venkatesh, GTF Coordinator, FANSA
Lajana Manandhar, FAN Nepal Convenor
Dr Suman Shakya, Executive Director, ENPHO
Rajendra Aryal, President, FEDWASUN
Umesh Pandey, Director, NEWAH
Anil Sthapit, Director, GUTHI
Prakash Amatya,Regional Comm. Coordinator, FANSA
Ikhtair Khaskhely, member, FANSA Pakistan
Baseerat Naz, Steering Committee KP province
Dilena Pathragoda, FANSA Sri Lanka
Nadira Gunathilake, Journalist
Marc Faux, FAN Consortium Coordinator
End Water Poverty
Esmee Russell, International Campaign Coordinator